Challenge: Vermilion has many strengths and potential, but the community lacked an economic development plan that would address lack of accomodations, activities after 6pm, like business clustering, and leakage of resident spending.
Solution: Roger and his team worked with the community to develop a plan for economic development for Vermilion by forming a comprehensive vision or “brand” for Vermilion that maximizes its current assets and amenities, while providing recommendations for the development of “product” and the steps necessary to support and promote the brand vision . The recommended brand direction will enable Vermilion to stand out from the other communities in the area, making it more attractive for local residents, visitors and investors.
Vermilion is working on becoming the destination of choice in Western Canada for adults and families to immerse themselves in a hands-on experiential learning environment for all things pertaining to creative and healthy living. Vermilion will be where people fulfill lifelong learning pursuits in art, interior design, outdoor living, the organized home, culinary, and healthy living. Vermilion will be where individuals, couples and families come to be inspired by renowned experts. Vermilion will be where people check off items on their personal bucket list.
- Vermilion is early in their development, but already have made amazing progress in a very short amount of time.
- They created The Good Life Institute, a centre for creative, motivational and practical learning.
- Already their course offerings include everything from astronomy, writing and songwriting to cooking, leatherworking and outdoor adventure.
- They established partnerships with local Lakeland College, which will enhance the Learning Centre brand
- Downtown development is underway, with beautification efforts, a wayfinding system and new restaurants, hotels and businesses being developed.