Challenge: Home of William Penn University and many other great assets, Oskaloosa has many wonderful things going for it. As part of their plan to make their downtown an amazing gathering place, Oskaloosa Main Street asked our team to help them address some challenges that many downtowns throughout North America face. Their downtown deals with a lack of shopping and dining options, business turnover, challenge with attracting new businesses, and difficulty with traffic flow.
Solution: Roger’s Community Branding program facilitated the process with Oskaloosa to develop a Branding, Development, and Marketing Action Plan. The recommendations in the plan will help the community achieve the following goals: First, to develop a unified marketing effort for Oskaloosa. Second, to increase retail spending in the downtown. Third, make Oskaloosa a destination. Fourth, to increase foot traffic in the downtown.
Oskaloosa's brand promise (what they are working toward): Oskaloosa’s downtown is the best “third place” in Iowa – and then the Midwest – an amazing central gathering place alive with activity, food and entertainment year-round.”
- The Oskaloosa Brand Leadership Team is hard at work implementing the recommendations in their Branding, Development, and Marketing Action Plan
- New pole banners have been put up to reflect the new brand feeling
- Beautification projects are happening in downtown and throughout the community
- Additional events and activities are being planned to be held downtown
- Wayfinding and highway corridor improvements are being planned