Downtowns Are Back!
Main Street Districts on the rise? You bet!
Main Streets and traditional downtowns are on the rise. And they are making a difference in communities all over North America. The National Trust for Historic Preservation’s Main Street program looked at reinvestment in the 2,000 Main Street programs launched since 1980 (32 years).
– $53.6 billion was invested in these communities
– 104,961 businesses moved to these community centers
– 448,835 jobs have been created or located into these downtowns
– 229,164 buildings have been rehabilitated
– The reinvestment ratio is $18:$1
– More than 80% of Main Street communities saw an increase in “Mom and Pop” or independent businesses opening in their districts
– Main Street areas are thriving in places where communities are investing – and they’re seeing big returns!