Challenge: Mt Vernon is perfectly located between four metropolitan areas, which also makes them a perfect pit stop. The city wants to pull more visitors from the pit stop establishments and into the downtown. The goal is to slow leakage, revitalize their downtown, create small business opportunities, and give overnight visitors places to spend time and money.
Solution: Roger's Single Community Branding Program helped the city create an Action plan that would help them achieve their goals. Mt. Vernon has a some great art attractions to build off of, which led to their tagline "Creativity Redefined." One of many recommendations that Roger helped the community develop is to revitalize their downtown through a major public market. Mt. Vernon has the tools to become an outstanding destination.
- Designing and implementing wayfinding system to bring visitors downtown
- Developing new public market
- Held "market days" event and had 2,000-3,000 at each event
- "Downtown hasn't looked so alive in a long time!" - Tourism Director
- Created new visitors guide
- New quarterly "Destination Mt. Vernon" publication
- New streetscape project happening downtown
- Adding new events at a rapid rate